Ask an expert

05 Oct 2009

Where do i go?
Hi Cyberdoc,
I have a quick question.
when do i go visit a psychiatrist and when do i visit a psychologist?
i have decided to take the step and seek some counselling. I am struggling with work, my studies and overall need help emotionally.

I would appreciate your opinion
Answer 377 views

01 Jan 0001

If you are likely to need medication, you need to see a psychiatrist, as that variety opf shrink has medical trainin and can prescribe drugs, and a psychologist doesn't and can't. Some psychiatrists can provide counselling / psychotherapy, but many don't happen to do so. A clinical Psychologist is likely to be your best bet for that, as they specialize in such therapy. If you are studying at an institution, they should have some counsellors vailable, too, with particular experience at dealing with study problems and their interface with emotional problems
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9362 votes
67% - 19318 votes