Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
18 Nov 2004
Will he hit me?
I have a very heavy heart today. Last night in a fight wih my husband he threatened to hit me. Actually, the word he used was "bliksem". This isn't the first time he's threatened me with violence. He says I provoke him and that I'm disrespectful. I admit that I'm not entirely without fault but what if he actually goes through with it? I just feel so intimidated. And more than a bit scared actually. He knows that he's bigger and stronger than me and that if he wanted to hit me there would be absolutely nothing I could do about it. What does he want me to do? Be the obedient little wife? And he's such a hypocrate! Always carries on about how men who beat women are cowards etc. I've got two little boys. What example does it set for them when their dad threatens to hit their mom?
Lia, yes, this is indeed disrutbing and alarming. Maybe it's significant that though he feels you often provoke and annoy him, apparently he hasn't hit you yet. And of course this is NOT a good example for the children to overhere. Would he agree to join you in marriage counselling, with some tactful persuasion ? Otherwise, you might want to call POWA for advice on handling a poentially abusive situation. Counselling for yourself could deal with perhaps reducing the possibilities that at times you are unhelpfully provocative, but this sort of problem affects both of you, and needs both of you to become involed in it's solution.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Why South Africa stopped making vaccines
- ‘We have to be alert, not alarmed’ says KRISP director about B.1.617 variant identified in India
- High doses of vitamin D have no effect on severe Covid infection - study
- Could the Covid-19 vaccines affect your period? We don’t know yet — but there’s no cause for concern
- Want to stick to weight loss goals? Plan your post-exercise meals beforehand - and stick to them
- THE ESKOM FILES | From pastor to coal dealer: The many blessings of Eskom exec's lover
- Threats, corruption and pecking orders: Laying out the feud at state-owned chicken producer Daybreak Farms
- Adriaan Basson | This is how it ends for Ace - not with a bang but a whimper
- Northern Cape ANC pilots new membership system, but some are complaining
- Weekend rugby gold: Nche barging way towards Bok Bomb Squad
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9467 votes
68% - 20230 votes