Ask an expert

30 Jun 2010


Please help me/guide me.
I''ve been thinking... I would love to study, well I always wanted to and gave it a go after school but had to stop due to my father losing his job.
So I started working and 9yrs down the road still at the same company, still earning a crapy salary but it pays my bills.

So I realize if I still do nothing about it things will stay the same.
I would love to study Radiology but it can only be done full-time (3yrs)
The other important thing is I look after my brother and sister as my parents are old and cannot work.They are on my medical aid too and if I leave we will all not be covered and that is something I’ m worried about.
I am 27 by the way and not getting any younger so I need to start ASAP as time is running out.
It would be so nice to be doing something I would enjoy.

I recently just applied for a vacancy – working hours 6pm-2am only realizing afterwards it’ s a shift position.
Then I thought… maybe it’ s a sign. Maybe not too lol
I’ m not sure where to from here?
Would I be able to work from 6pm-2am and got to classes from 8am-4pm then to work from there… ?
Could that be possible or would I just end up exhausting myself and accomplishing nothing?
If I leave work to do this how will we live? I would be able to cover my debt with my pension but then what about the next 3 years?
My bf and I were also planning on getting married next year, applying for a bond at the end of the year and starting from there.
If I do this then our plans are thrown out the window and we have been waiting until we both stable and would be able to get married.
Its just all so frustrating! What do I do?
Answer 383 views

01 Jan 0001

I think there are separate elements you your problems. THere are many suibjects one can study quite successfull on one's own - I taught myself many of the most valuable things I own, by reading and similar methods. But for vocations like Radiography, one ultimately needs formal courses so as to get a qualification required to get a proper job in the field.
By the way, I suspect you may be thinking of Radiography, rather than of becoming a radiologist. A Radiographer is a skilled health pofessional who TAKES the X-rays ; a radiologist is a fully trained medical doctor who then specializes in some special X-ray techniques and mainly in reading and interpreting the pictures - so that would need one to go to medical school for years, and then do post-graduate study.
while There still is quite a lot one can learn in that way ( preparing the ground for later formal studies - you can borrow books about anatomy, physiology, other subjects in the Radiography curriculum, through a good local library.
You might be able to volunteer in the Radiography Dept of a major hospital for a few hours at the weekend or of an evening, just to help out as an untrained assistant. There might be a lot of filing, but some people might be prepared, in the quiet times, to show you how they do things, and discuss some X-ray pictures with you. A great advantage of this is that you get a taste of what it's like before undergoing the hard work and expense of formal training - if you find you love it, you're motivated to go ahead, and if you find you hate it, well, you can stop in good time !
Sometimes in life one has to choose, at a particula time, between choices like marriage and career goals. This does't mean it's impossible to have both, but maybe one can't afford to go for both at the same time, and one could wait a few years.
Talk to the folks at a school of radiography, and get details of the curiculum, including how long it takes- and how easy is it to get jobs, and what do they pay ? - maybe if the course isn't too long, you might be able to move on to a job earning reasonably to enable you then to get married. Explore the options of becoming a radiology assistant, which might enable you to earn, and later continue studies to become a radiographer.
And research the availability of bursaries to support your studies
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.