Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
02 Aug 2007
Zoloft withdrawal...brain zaps
About 3 months ago I started tapering my Zoloft from 75 mg, by reducing it by 12.5 mg every 2 weeks. A week ago I took the last dose. The past 3 or 4 days though I've been dizzy, and am experiencing something which I can only discribe as brain zaps. It feels like a small electrical pulse running through my head a few times every minute. It makes my ears sing and my eyes jump and is a bit disorientating. I am guessing that is is due to Zoloft withdrawal. Is there anything I can do to alleviate it, or do I just need to sit it out. How long can I expect it to last? it really does feel awful.
These are indeed very curious sensations, and I have heard them described by other people when coming off this or similar drugs. I have yhet to see a good chemical / biological explanation for how this happens. It does seem to be due to the drug withdrawal. Most people seem to choose to sit it out, and it usually goes away before long ; some would go back to the previous dose before the last lowering, and maybe lower the doses every 3 weeks instead of 2. The doctor who prescribed the medicine in the first place, would of course be the best person to ask for advice on this, as he/she presumably knows you in some detail.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Covid then vs Covid now: The emergence of variants and how the virus has evolved
- Napping in the afternoon can improve memory and alertness – here’s why
- Baby infected with coronavirus in the womb - new study
- Having trouble sleeping? Here’s the science on 3 traditional bedtime remedies
- Some employees hate team bonding activities, so they should be made entirely voluntary, say researchers
- Trial by social media – the tragic Lindsay Dentlinger story
- Treasury's 'brutal' budget must target spend cuts at SOEs, Cabinet
- BREAKING | Rogue Crime Intelligence cops 'bug' News24 investigative journalist
- Mbalula's comments indicate the ANC is far from united in bid to oust Public Protector
- Siya Khumalo | #LoveIslandSA: Does our legacy allow us to have dating shows?
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9380 votes
67% - 19435 votes