Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
21 Feb 2020
"Big Snip" gone wrong
Hello, 2 weeks ago my now 6month old German shepherd went in for the "big snip". He hasn't been home since. First, he began bleeding profusely from the cut 2days after the op. The vet suggested they keep him there as we work full time and wouldn't be there in case of an emergency. He was due to be discharged today after the stitches were removed, only to find that the internal stitches (he had a undescended testicle) had come undone and there is a hole from which his colon has been protruding (we noticed the bulge last week already and when we questioned it, we were told its just swelling). They stitched him again this morning. Not sure when he will come home. I'm writing here to ask if this is a common occurrence. And I desperately need reassurance that he is going to be OK. I feel like a bad mother. I'm broken right now. We left this poor, helpless, perfect boy in what we thought were trustworthy hands (he is our first pet) and I feel like they have butchered him. Any tips on after care, etc will be highly appreciated.
The best will be to follow your local vet’s advice; he / she would not have operated if not necessary. Ask regarding the best possible after care. If you are unsure, take him for a second opinion.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Researchers looked at link between sunlight and Covid-19 deaths - what they found
- J&J Covid-19 vaccine: Are blood clots and the pausing of SA’s rollout a cause for major concern?
- 6 unhealthy eating behaviours on the rise during the Covid-19 pandemic
- Vaccine side effects are not uncommon - so, with J&J's jab: What are they, who gets them, and why?
- Experts don't expect J&J vaccine rollout to be paused for long - but suspension the right move
- Jail me, Zuma dares ConCourt as chief justice plays politics in JSC interviews
- ANC dismissed first Gupta allegations because its 'analysis' found newspapers were racist - Mantashe
- Is Judge John Hlophe above the law? Join us at the Editors' Table to discuss his fate
- Not having access to mental health treatment a violation of human rights - expert
- Mpumelelo Mkhabela | Attacks on our constitutional democracy: 4 strategies that are being used
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9432 votes
68% - 19943 votes