Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
31 Jul 2006
Blood in poop
Hi - My kitten is about 3 months old and theer is blood in her poop. Is this normal? I have given her deworming medicine, but it is still not working. She does not seem sick though? She is happy and playfull,
Blood can appear after an animal has been dewormed because the worms cause bleeding spots when they come loose from the gut. They usually bite into the wall to keep themselves in. The two main types of worms are tape worms and round worms and they require specific remedies (some combination remedies are available that will do both round and tape worms - effective meds being available from your vet). Protozoal can also cause blood to appear in the motions. It is good practice to have your vet check your pets motions periodically to see how effectie the deworming has been. Your vet will perform a test on the faecal sample and examine it under a microscope (looking for eggs etc that are not visible to the naked eye).
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- A third of Covid survivors suffer neurological or mental disorders, a new study finds
- Scientists invent home Covid-19 test using coffee machine capsules
- Pfizer vaccines are coming. Here’s how SA could prepare its cold chain
- Are people who had Covid-19 more likely to develop blood clots? Study finds out
- Obesity, diabetes not only increases risk of severe Covid - it increases the risk of being infected
- Days of reckoning for Zuma and Hlophe: Will ConCourt and JSC imprison and push to impeach?
- Eskom official went out of her way to help Econ Oil, and linked them up with Gigaba - probe report
- Adriaan Basson | The end of John Mandlakayise Hlophe, a judicial scoundrel and delinquent
- Trichomonas gallinae disease or canker killing birds in Eastern Cape?
- With Edgars now in its stable, how does Legit-owner Retailability compare to its rivals?
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9423 votes
68% - 19865 votes