Ask an expert

16 Feb 2004

Boerboel in pain
I have a very big female Boerboel who is 2 years old now. When she was a puppy she used to play a lot with our male Boerboel (now 5), even though the male was very rough with her. She often used to yelp when they played. A few months later when she was fully grown, she often battled to walk and play with the male. It looked like her back leg was giving trouble (as if it was painful walking on it and she was limping) and we took her to our local Vet. He couldn’t find anything wrong with her leg. Then her front leg also started to give trouble. With all the pain she is having, she doesn’t walk that much and she is also starting to gain weight from all the sitting, which is also resulting in sores all over her body (especially the groin area). We have her on a special diet and she is loosing weight but she is still battling to walk. We took her back to the Vet and he took X-Rays of her whole body and the results showed that her bones are 100% developed with absolutely no defect. Now I would like to know what more could we do for her. Should we put her on arthritis medication or can you perhaps give us some advice as to what maybe is wrong with her. Please, she is suffering a lot and finds it more and more difficult to walk everyday. She is only 2 years old and we don’t want to put her down as she is so young, but we don’t want her to suffer that much.
Answer 5,693 views

01 Jan 0001

You definitely need a specific answer as to what is wrong with her. If the radiographs (x-rays) were normal, there must be a significant other problem present to cause the pain. Without a specific diagnosis I cannot begin to give you any advice as far as treatment. I would suggest that if your vet cannot give an answer, you ask your vet for referral to a veterinary specialist surgeon in your area for further investigation. Like you say, she's only two years old and needs help.

Good luck!

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9364 votes
67% - 19336 votes