Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
02 Apr 2007
HELP? Declawing a puppy?!
Hi there, I sent my three and a half month old maltese to the parlour for his first trim this weekend and when we got back home i noticed that they had declawed the two little nails on the back of his front legs (not on his feet / toes). He doesn't seem to be in any pain and there is no scarring, but i was just quite shocked and was wondering if this can be done? I feel so sorry for him as i can just imagine how painful that must have been! Thanks alot!
The removal of claws is often done to prevent them becoming snagged and injured causing pain to the dog. The procedure should always be done by a veterinary surgeon with the patient under anaesthetic. It is an act of veterinary surgery!
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Struggling to convince someone who's vaccine-hesitant to get Covid-19 jab? Try this approach
- Type 2 diabetes: Sitting can cause problems with blood sugar levels, so get up and move
- PODCAST | HIV unmuted: Aids and the elusive vaccine
- Your guide to side-effects: What you can expect after a Covid-19 jab
- Finding an HIV vaccine: Five lessons from the search for a Covid-19 jab
- Phase 2 of SA's ambitious Covid-19 vaccination drive gets under way countrywide
- If Zuma is ready to go on trial, why is he bringing another doomed case against the NPA?
- State capture: Geoff Makhubo denies his influence was bought
- OPINION | Berry lekker: How urban foraging is one way to help feed SA's hungry
- Ralph Mathekga | Magashule ties ANC's hands
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9477 votes
68% - 20349 votes