Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
09 Nov 2006
I have a 7 yr old, unspayed Golden Labrador. She recently started licking her elbow and now it's become swollen and raw looking. You can grab hold of the lump of skin, so it's not attached to the bone, it's just on her skin. What over-the-counter treatment do you suggest I get for her? I'm worried about going to the vet as he might prescribe expensive medicine which I can't afford and has no guarantee of working.. Please help as it looks very sore and I'm worried about her!
This could be an area that suffers when the dog lies down. Next time she is lying flat lok to see if the affected area contacts the floor. If so make sure she has thick bedding to lie on. It may help to bandage the area using a doughnut shaped spacer over the affected area to make sure the bandage does not put pressure on the affected area. It is best to have it checked out as these lesions can become traumatised and infected.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- The common cold might protect you from coronavirus – here’s how
- J&J Covid-19 vaccine: Are blood clots and the pausing of SA’s rollout a cause for major concern?
- SEE: Woman’s nose collapses due to rare autoimmune disorder
- Some form of long-term symptom lingers in one in 10 who had mild Covid-19, new study finds
- HIV and cervical cancer: Behind SA’s extraordinarily high numbers
- 'Hlophe should not only be impeached, he should be put in prison' - Kriegler
- Family finally gets justice 10 years after their three-year-old boy drowned at a North West lodge
- Meet Soweto's 'cemetery navigators' - the men attending to dilapidated graves
- High risks or picky banks: Why is microfinance not taking off in SA?
- SATURDAY PROFILE | Judge Dennis Davis: ‘To accuse the judiciary of being captured is outrageous’
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9435 votes
68% - 19981 votes