Ask an expert

27 Jan 2004

Plz help-Kitten is constipated!
I need help desperately! My kitten has the equivalent of human irritable bowel disease. He alternates between having the runs & constipation. He used to have the runs & we put him on biosol to bind it-we did this for 3 days & then left it & everything seemed fine. Now (2 weeks later) he is constipated & his stool gets stuck 1/2 way out while he tries to relieve himself & he cries & cries. I have tried to wipe it away but as soon as I do more comes out. Then he sits & tries to clean it & his bottom gets red & swollen. We went bakc to the vet for some "anolax" to combat the constipation-but there has got to be a way we can treat the cause instead of the symptoms!! Right now his diet consists of whiskers 20g kitten pellets 3x per day & (I am ashamed to say) 20g Butch dog food-he refuses to eat anything else! I never give him milk, only water. Should I change his diet? Then vet said to feed him cooked chiken-but I am too scared to do it because of the bird flu going around!
He also releaves himself in the bathroom instead of outside-why? How do I get him to go outside?
Plz help-I am at my wits end-I can't stand to see him in pain!
Answer 409 views

01 Jan 0001

I would firstly definitely recommend changing the diet, and agree with your veterinarian - feed him cooked chicken until the condition has improved. I am quite sure there is nothing to worry about the bird flu-I am certainly not avoiding eating chicken meat myself! The dog food could upset his tummy significantly and a pure protein diet may very well help to settle things down. Once all is fine, move back to normal catfood and avoid dogfood. As soon as his tummy is better, he will also start voiding outside again. In the meantime, give him a sandbox which is cleaned daily, in case he does not have enough time to go outside. If he is not getting better soon, please go see your vet again.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.