Ask an expert

19 Mar 2007

Hallo, my son is turning six next month and I would like to know if he eats correctly for his age. He is fussy with veggies. He has a slice of bread in the morning with Marmite and a mug of rooibos tea with full cream milk. For break at school, he has 2 more slices of brown bread with Marmite again and a small bottle of again full cream milk. For lunch, he has an apple, Tang cooldrink, a yoghurt, some viennas or cold meat and maybe again some bread if he is still hungry. For supper I make him either pumpkin or sweet potato fritters (that's the only way I get some veggies into him), either chicken, fish fingers on some other kind of meat with rice of McCain's Oven Chips. Before bed, he drinks another glass of full cream milk. Sweets are only for one day on a weekend. I would love to know how to get some more veggies disguised for him. He does not like pasta or any mixed food. He wants to know and see what he eats. Please help. Thank you.
Answer 371 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Samantha
As I just advised another Mom, children older than 2 years can start using low-fat milk instead of full-cream to reduce their intake of saturated fat. I think you should start giving your son some fruit at breakfast, for school and at lunch. The idea is for all of us to have 5-A-day portions of fruit or vegetables or both. If your son is not yet fond of vegies, then let him eat fruit instead (fresh or dried). Try this and get him used to having 5 portions of fruit a day. Then introduce him to other vegies one at a time. If he refuses a specific vegie, don't comment, just wait till later and then introduce it again. It takes a long time for some people to develop a taste and linking for vegetables and there are many adults who also don't like eating vegies. These things take time. Otherwise do try and reduce your son's fat intake (the viennas, cold meat, chips and fritters are all high-fat foods).
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.