Ask an expert
Question

29 Nov 2012

alcohol allergy
Is there such a thing as an allergy to alcohol?and if so can it develop later in life?I''m 29 and it seems for the last year or so I cant enjoy a glass of wine without my nose blocking up and tears running down my eys.Please help!
Answer 422 views
Expert
DietDoc
DietDoc

01 Jan 0001

Dear Chichi
Reactions to alcoholic drinks can be due to so many different components, that it is practically impossible to try and define which ones are causing allergic rhinitis as in your case. Red wine in particular contains dozens of compounds that combine to make up the unique flavour and smell. On the other hand, white wine usually has a high sulphur content, which is a well-known allergen. Sulphur is used as a 'disinfectant' during the wine making process. Many allergies develop over time as the body makes more and more antigens against a specific allergen. When the levels of antigens in the body reaches a critical point, the allergy manifests itself. You can ask your gp to send you for allergy tests, because if for example you are allergic to sulphur you can avoid white wine and possibly still use red wine or some other type of alcohol.
In the meanwhile, please avoid drinking alcohol until you have a diagnosis.
Best regards
DietDoc
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.