Ask an expert

27 Mar 2007

Are these foods ok to eat?

Im really trying hard to lose weight. I go to spinning 5 times a week for an hour and I eat a low kilojoule diet. I was just wondering if u could answer some questions for me:

1) I make a toss salad every night with my supper and I have been including tinned gerkins and a quater circle of feta. Are these fattening(in these moderate amounts)? Are tined things generally fattening such as pepperdews etc?

2) I steam cook my veggies in the microwave - is there any non-fattening spices/seasonings i can add to them to make them taste a bit better?

3) I eat a high protein lunch as I know this is important when trying to lose weight, but what about supper time? Is it important to eat high carbs, high protein or a combo?(a lot of things I buy are low fat or fat free but then they are high in carbs)

4) I snack on things like ryevita, provitas etc in the mid-mornings and the afternoons - is there anything else I can do to speed up my metabolism?

PS the diet and excercise that I have been doing has made me loose weight (2,5kgs in 5 weeks) But as I approach my goal weight I know its going to be more difficult to lose those last 2kgs so Im basically looking for ways for me to obtain that goal.

Thanks so much
Answer 702 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Jen
You seem to be eating correctly and the exercise you are doing is excellent. To answer your questions: 1) Gherkins and peppadews can be regarded as 'free foods' and the feta is not a large portion. 2) Herbs and spices contain practically no energy, so you can use them and lemon juice freely to improve the taste of steamed vegies. 3) It is a fallacy that carbohydrates are fattening if you don't smother them in butter, sour cream or mayonnaise. So you can eat a mixture of low-fat carbs and low-fat protein for your supper. 4) The exercise you are doing is still the very best stimulant for metabolism that you can use, so keep it up and you will lose those last 2 kg.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.