Ask an expert

03 Feb 2004

Bulimic trying to recover
Well, I posted here ages ago... The advice back then was to get help. I still haven't, well, until last week. I refuse to see a psychologist or psychiatrist (had a bad spell just over a year ago). I went to my GP who had some blood tests done to eliminate possibilities such as low zinc levels. I'll be back for the results on Friday. My concern? Well, how do I become 'normal' again without gaining weight? As a matter of fact, I want to lose more, around 13 kilos. I am 1.68 metres tall, and currently weigh 68. I am bulimic with anorexic tendencies. I fast / restrict, use laxatives, drink lots of coffee and water, and exercise. I have even induced vomiting several times. My body is almost used to this by now, how the heck do I change it so that I still lose, but the healthy way? Won't returning to 'normal eating habits' mean I will gain? I've also been using Eetless capsules for the past I don't know how long... Can it damage me?
Answer 393 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Angel
The advice has not changed - get help before you ruin your health, your teeth, your bowel habits and your life. You are clearly in an avoidance phase - head in the sand - and not prepared to acknowledge that you have a serious problem. I detect a certain satisfaction in your message - you seem to be saying "Look at all the bad things I am doing to myself - you and all the other health professionals can't change me!". If you have not had a good experience with a psychologist or psychiatrist, then at the very least consult a clinical dietitian (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will be able to guide you back to eating normally and losing weight without all these detrimental habits. Your health and future are your responsibility and YOU need to do something proactive to get that help - no one else can do it for you.
Take great care
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9379 votes
67% - 19431 votes