Ask an expert

23 Jul 2008

Please help

I went to a dietitan in Oct 2007 to get rid of my constipation.
I went from weighing 58kgs to 64 current.

I recently found out about Candida - and have all the symptoms, bloating, constipation, memory loss, muscle fatigue, weight gain, bad breath, white film on my tonge and sinusitis

I was advised to follow an anti-candida diet, should I do this or should I just take pro-biotics and if so, what is better 4 strain or 9 strain.

Please help - I really need to lose the weight and just cant take the bad breath etc. anymore!

Answer 297 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Vee
I would strongly recommend that you have a medical checkup because some of your symptoms may be due to other underlying medical conditions such as irritable bowel syndrome or insulin resistance. To answer your queries about Candida: Some of the leading microbiologists in SA have stated in public that dietary factors do NOT affect Candida infections and cutting out foods like fruit, sugar and wheat will effectively starve the patient, but not affect the Candida organism! All human beings live in harmony with millions of yeasts such as Candida which occur naturally on our bodies. If something upsets the balance between the 'good' microorganisms and the potentially 'bad' organisms like Candida, then the Candida starts to flourish and you get infections. Factors that can promote the overgrowth of 'bad' microorganisms like Candida are stress, hormone treatments, antibiotics, obesity, etc. It may be useful for your dr to test a swab of your infection (e.g. the vagina, mouth, etc) to see which type of Candida you suffer from as different strains react to different antifungal preparations. It helps to use probiotics or 'good microorganisms' like Acidoforte by mouth and Vagiforte by vagina (buy at health shops) to help combat the Candida. Combine this with anti-fungal treatment as prescribed by your dr and a normal balanced diet.
Hope you soon feel better
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9433 votes
68% - 19971 votes