Ask an expert

29 Nov 2012

Can''t lose weight
Dear Doc

I am 1.44 m and weigh 86kg. I haven''t always been overweight. I have a 1 year old and I didn''t gain much weight when I was pregnant. I started gaining after the birth of my baby. I am also a comfort eater and I have been so depressed for the past couple of months and have been on anti-depressants for about 2 years now. I am trying to eat healthy foods especially since I am breastfeeding and drink lot of water. I don''t really exercise as I don''t have time. I am just gaining weight and this depresses me. What can I do as I hate diet pills and don''t want to take them as I am breastfeeding.

Answer 291 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Cee-po
If you are only 1.44 m tall then your present BMI = 41,55 which is very high. Just to get down to a BMI of 30, you would need to weigh 62 kg, thus a loss of 24 kg which is a great deal of weight to lose. Please check if the height measurement you mention, is correct. From what you say, I deduce that psychological factors such as depression and the need for comfort play a crucial role in your weight gain. I would recommend that you consult a clinical psychologist if possible so that he/she can help you to determine what underlying factors are driving you to self-destruct like this and help you to take control of your life again. Once you have more control over your life, I would also recommend that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will help you to start losing weight without drying up your milk and also without having to use diet pills which can pass into breast milk and affect your baby negatively. It would be beneficial if you could start taking baby for walks every day in the fresh air. As you lose weight and become more mobile you can increase how far and fast you walk. Daily exercise helps to combat depression and promotes weightloss.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9444 votes
68% - 20057 votes