Ask an expert

17 Aug 2010

Constant hunger
I seem to always be hungry, I can eat a healthy meal at supper time and half an hour later I am hungry again! It is not only at night time, it happens during the day aswell. It is driving me insane. I am following a sensible eating plan and go to gym three nights a week, I am at least 10kg over weight (maybe more) and I am really struggling to keep this hunger and weight " monster"  at bay. The gym has also told me that I am retaining water, how do I alleviate that problem? At present I am drinking approximately 1,5 litres of water per day. I need urgent advice here before I completely lose my head!!!!
Answer 402 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Bev
Hormone fluctuations can make the serotonin levels in your brain decrease which can cause constant hunger and cravings. The best way to counteract them is to ensure that you are eating plenty of carbohydrates and protein with a low fat content because carbs and protein increase the serotonin levels in the brain and make you feel better. Eat a carb like rye or wholewheat bread and fruit or vegetables at each meal and a low-fat protein like yoghurt or fat-free cottage cheese. You could also be suffering from insulin problems and need to use a low-fat, low glycaemic index (GI) diet. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. If you find that using a low-GI diet for 2 weeks does not stop the cravings then I would recommend that you have a medical checkup to see if there is an underlying physical or psychological cause for this overeating (e.g. hormone fluctuations, depression, etc). Water retention can be combatted by NOT drinking more than 2,5 litres of LIQUID per day (check that you are not overdoing things with the water intake because this can deplete your potassium and sodium levels and actually cause water retention) and using a mild diuretic (ask your gp to prescribe one for you)
Hope you can stop feeling so hungry all the time.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9380 votes
67% - 19432 votes