Ask an expert

18 Jul 2005

I have gained a lot of weight in the past two years. I used to weigh 70kg and I'm now up to 90kg. I don't know what to do. I've been on every diet, tried to gym but I still can't seem to lose any weight. I look at photos of myself and just get depressed when I see what I used to look like. Then I start eating again. It's an evil circle and I don't know what to do. I'm 26 years old, weigh 90kg and 1.74m tall. PLEASE HELP ME!
Answer 412 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Stella
Your present BMI = 29,7 which is in the overweight to obese range. It would be a good idea if you could reduce down to your original 70 kg. If you have been trying a multitude of diets you could be suffering from the 'yo-yo dieting effect', which makes it increasingly difficult to lose weight. Other factors that could be contributing to this weight gain are: hormone imbalances (thyroid, insulin resistance, female hormone imbalances), depression, lack of exercise, changes in lifestyle. It may be a good idea to have a medical checkup and ask the dr to test for hormone imbalances like insulin resistance. It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance or diabetes to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your diabetes, medications and other conditions such as overweight and raised blood lipid levels, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. Combine your diet with regular physical activity (join a gym or Walk for Life) because exercise not only helps with weight loss, but also controls insulin levels.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.