Ask an expert

21 Jan 2004

Duodenal Ulcer
hi there firstly i would like to the difference between ulcer & duodenal ulcer. Is it very normal to be nausea for two weeks but you are taking yuor pills (not pregnant) just a little bit worried because when i always drink the pills the nausea stops can't you describe something
Answer 487 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Tiena
An 'ulcer' refers to an open wound anywhere in the body - i.e. stomach ulcers, duodenal ulcers, leg ulcers, etc. These sores can, therefore, occur in a number of areas in the digestive system, such as the stomach (called gastric ulcers) or in the small intestine or duodenum (duodenal ulcers). These internal ulcers are formed when the body produces too much stomach acid, which instead of just digesting your food, also start digesting the tissues of the digestive tract. Typical symptoms include: Nausea, esp when the stomach is empty, acid reflux, heart burn, bloating, winds, abdominal pain, poor digestion, feelings of hunger, tiredness, etc.
I do hope that you have been given appropriate medication to treat the ulcers - such as proton pump inhibitors and antacids plus an antibiotic if you have a Helicobacter pylori infection which would make it more difficult to treat the ulcers. If not, then Please do yourself a favour and ask the dr to prescribe these medications for you. Besides taking your medications and avoiding all spicy and fatty foods, and all alcohol and gassy or caffeine-containing drinks (cola drinks, coffee, tea) some patients find that foods with an acid taste (oranges, lemons, pineapple, strawberries) and gas-producing foods (the cabbage family, raw onions and legumes) can also cause discomfort. This is an individual reaction, so it may help to keep a food diary and note down what foods cause YOU discomfort and then to avoid them. Stress is one of the most important factors in ulcers, so do try to relax, do relaxing and deep breathing exercises - yoga is ideal.
Hope you feel better soon
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9438 votes
68% - 20022 votes