Ask an expert

21 Jul 2008

Fish Allergy
1. My husband is very allergic to line fish but can eat seafood. What other way can I substitue the fish we are unable to eat 3-4 times a week as recommended in most health and nutritional diets / eating plans?
2. I find it bizaare as he is able to eat tuna, tinned pickled fish (which in essence is hake but he cannot eat hake when made as a meal)?
3. I am not sure if there is a way of identifying what types of fish he is allergic to as feel he may not be allergic to all of them?

As mentioned he can eat all types of seafood.
Answer 653 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Jacqui
Food allergies can really be a problem and often present in what seems an illogical pattern - as you say, he can eat tinned hake, but not fried hake when you serve it at home. The problem is that your hubby could be allergic to a specific protein that occurs in certain types of fish and not in others, or that is inactivated by certain cooking processes and not others. Your husband can ask his dr to send him for allergy tests to find out precisely which types of fish he is allergic to, so that it makes your life easier to avoid them. If he is still able to eat other seafood like calamari and prawns, etc, then you can include these foods once a week or so to boost omega-3 intake and ensure a good iodine level. Visit the Website of the SA Allergy Association at: to read more about different fish allergies.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9428 votes
68% - 19906 votes