Ask an expert

17 Aug 2007

hair growth and weight gain
hi doc i have some few problems, i am 23yrs old and i am very skiny, also i am hairless (without bears or moustache). but both my younger ones are hairy. please what would you recomend for me sothat i can put on more weight and grow hairy. i heared that methylated spirits do help in hair growth, please if it is advisable, how do i apply it....... am desperate thank you
Answer 28,838 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Emocab
Firstly about weight gain: Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Fresenius Kabi and Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone Fresenius on (011) 545-0000, or the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a meal supplement such as Fresubin, with or without fibre, at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week.
Secondly about hair growth: 1) Methylated spirits will not encourage hair growth and can irritate the skin, so avoid it. 2) Some men take longer than others to develop breads and moustaches 3) However, this lack of hair could be due to an underlying medical problem, so do have a medical checkup with your doctor and ask him/her to test your male hormone levels.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9433 votes
68% - 19971 votes