Ask an expert

06 Jan 2005

helping a friend with anorexia
I'm helping a friend with anorexia and would like you to send me a eating plan for her and any other information that can help her.
Answer 379 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Friend
I think your friend is lucky that she has such a good friend in you. However, the treatment of anorexia requires a team approach. The patient needs diet therapy from a dietitian to help her to learn to eat proper foods and regular meals and to undo the harm that she has done to her system. She also needs to consult a clinical psychologist to assist her in understanding what is driving her to self-destruct and how to learn more positive ways of dealing with her underlying problems. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. Clinical psychologists can be found in the Yellow Pages under Psychologists or you can ask your gp to refer you to one. Get as much help as you possibly can because anorexia is one of the most complex and difficult conditions to treat.
Holding thumbs for both of you
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9465 votes
68% - 20202 votes