Ask an expert

19 Jul 2008

It' s just after 5am and I' m on the graveyard shift and fed up with it all. I am 30 and now fit into a size 50 just can' t take it any more. I have always been struggleing with my weight since a teen and stopped weighing myself at 120kg' s a few months back. I have tried it all, been on weight less, all the injections and all the tablets in the world but I keep reverting back to my old habits. How do I go about sticking to something that will last me a lifetime to come. I really don' t want to look and feel the way I do anymore, I just don' t know what to do anymore. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!
Answer 395 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Reader
If you have tried all kinds of diets and diet pills without achieving weightloss and now weigh 120 kg it is essential that you obtain some expert assistance because you cannot go on like this anymore. I would recommend that you first have a medical examination to determine if you are suffering from any underlying cause that makes you gain weight so drastically and prevents your from losing any. Conditions such as hormone deficiencies (thyroid, female hormones associated with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) or insulin resistance) can be responsible. If you should suffer from insulin resistance (IR) that can also be linked to PCOS, then it is essential to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. If you do not have a hormone imbalance then discuss the use of Xenical with the dr. Xenical is a real fat-trapper that prevents you from absorbing fat from what you eat. Xenical is, however expensive so it would help if your dr could motivate for this medication to be paid for by your medical aid. You would use the Xenical with a very-low-fat-diet and this will help you to start losing. So see if you can get Xenical prescribed for your condition. As you start losing weight and become more mobile, combine the diet and the medication with daily exercise such as going for walks - increase how rapidly and far you walk as you get fitter. If none of these approaches succeed then you may have to consider bariatric surgery for a stomach bypass to stop this weight gain. Contact Jana Derksen at the Call Centre for the Netcare Bariatric Centres of Excellence on 0861-623-7489 or contact her at: or call her on her cell phone at: 072-373-0155 or visit their Website at Jana will advise you of your nearest centre where you can have such an op.
Holding thumbs that you can find a way to lose that weight.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9433 votes
68% - 19974 votes