Ask an expert

2h ago

Ideal Weight?
Dear DietDoc,
Thanks for a wonderful forum. I am a 35 year old woman, 1.69m tall. After going from 59kg's to 72kg's in the space of 2 years, I finally went for a thorough medical and disovered that I had an underactive thyroid (TSR 77.71). I was put on Eltroxin, which helped, and I lost 5 kg's and got to 68kg. However, this didn's last, and I crepy back up to 71kg's. I got blood tests done again, and my Eltroxin dosage was increased (I'm now on 250mcg per day). In October last year, I joined WeighLess, and have since managed to shed 8 kilo's and am now at 63kg's. They have told me that they will not take me below 62kg's, because of age, build etc, which I am confused about. It's only a couple of years since I weighed 59, and I am by no means skinny - just slim. I wear a size 10 or 11, and still have a spare tyre around my middle! I certainly do not want to be underweight - very unattractive in my opinion. Why is age a factor? Are we supposed to get fatter as we get older? Surely that would be a health risk? Any advice or comments would be welcomed.
Answer 3,886 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Amanda
Firstly, congratulations for your sensible approach to your problem of weight gain and also for losing those 8 kg - that is a wonderful achievement. Although I do not work for Weighless, I support their decision about your target weight of 62, which will result in a BMI of 22, which is the ideal BMI for women no matter what age they are. For your height you will therefore need to weigh 62 kg to obtain the BMI of 22. If you decrease your weight further, then you will get into the low normal range which is not as advantageous health-wise (fewer reserves). You need to address the spare tyre by means of targeted exercise (either ask Fitness Doc for a home workout or join a good gym and ask the instructor to work out a specific programme of exercises to firm up the muscles of the abdominal area).
Thank you for your kind words.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.