Ask an expert

30 Jun 2005

im overweigth
im overweigth what can i do, i m diebetic there is no diet medicine i can use. im 52 years old .
Answer 330 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Mamzo
If you are diabetic then you MUST consult a clinical dietitian. If this is a problem then ask at your nearest clinic or hospital if they have a dietitian or diabetic clinic that can give you advice on what to eat so that you control your diabetes and lose weight at the same time. You can also check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your diabetes, and medications, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based in foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. You also needs to get active on a daily basis (swimming, jogging, skipping, running, cycling, gym or going for brisk walks) because regular exercise can lower the risk of diabetes considerably and help you to lose that weight.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9426 votes
68% - 19889 votes