Ask an expert

03 Apr 2007

Intolerant & Eating problem.
I have been off dairy & gluten for over 2 years as I realized it has always been the cause off a sensitive stomach and weight gain, but I have never been tested to see if I am definately intolerant. I also have an eating problem which sprung from my childhood which messes me around from time to time. I don't have money to do expensive tests or to see psycholigists, etc. Where can I find help?
Answer 357 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Janie
This is a problem because you sound as if you need help in 2 areas: 1) a diagnosis to see if you are really intolerant to wheat (gluten) and dairy products, so that if you are not intolerant you can resume eating these valuable foods (esp the milk and dairy which is our best source of calcium), 2) your eating problem. I don't know where you live, but if you are in Gauteng then it may help to contact Tara Hospital as they have an Eating Disorder clinic (phone (011) 783-2010, which should not be too expensive to consult. Otherwise contact your nearest state hospital and ask if they have departments such as Gastroenterology (for the food intolerances) and Psychiatry (for the eating disorder).
Do try and get some help as these problems must be complicating your life a great deal.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9423 votes
68% - 19865 votes