Ask an expert

19 Feb 2004

irregular diet
I am about 30 but feel like an 80yr old, I do not anything from the sea,limited red meat, a lot of chicken, have a b12 diffiency, losing my hair, what subsitutes can I have to supplement the missing nutrients?
Answer 426 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Prv
You really need to start eating a more balanced diet: milk and dairy products, lean red meat, liver, egg yolk and poultry to boost your iron and B12 intake. I trust that you are being treated for these deficiencies by your dr? If not, then Please have a checkup. The dr will either prescribe iron and B12 injections or an iron and B12 supplement which you will have to take for 3 or more months. To compensate for the lack of omega-3 fatty acids (mainly found in fish) you can also take Salmo oil capsules or if you are allergic to seafood, then take Linseed oil capsules (they are not as rich in the essential EPA and DHA as fish oil, but will help to a certain extent). Go for that checkup ASAP, because you may also need supplementation of the so-called 'intrinsic factor' which helps with the absorption of B12 and the dr will have to determine if you need this factor or not.
Take care
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.