Ask an expert

24 Aug 2007

jus getting fatter
i have high anxiety and i jus keep eating the wrong things, chocolates, whateva i c... im not working... is there any fat burner i could take as im now bout 90kgs, 5.2m high...
Answer 380 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Nicky
I presume your height is 5 feet 2 inches and not 5.2 metres?? If you are 5' 2", your present BMI = 36,6, which is in the obese range, so it would be a good idea to try to lose at least 10 kg to start off with. However, no diet or fat burner is going to help if you keep on eating the wrong foods. You first need to get your anxiety under control and stop what I think is 'comfort eating'. Please see a clinical psychologist (listed in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychologists' or ask your gp to refer you), so that you can learn less destructive ways of coping with your anxiety and not turning to food for comfort. Once you have your emotional turmoil under control, you can use an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). Once you start losing weight and feel more comfortable do try and do at least 30 min of one of the suggested exercises a day.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9422 votes
68% - 19857 votes