Ask an expert

05 Aug 2008

hi doc
my husband is an alcoholic, i' m so afraid of his health that i give him centrum every morning i try to give him vegies in his diet but he refuses he only wants to eat starch and red meat, i know buy best of both because he hates brown bread as well. my question is, how do i disguise his vegies?
Answer 419 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Reader
I really feel for you because there is nothing more difficult to handle than a person who is an alcoholic. It is a good idea to give your husband a multivitamin and mineral supplement like Centrum every day because alcoholism makes very high demands on nutrient intake, esp of the B vitamins. The ideal as you well know, is that your husband would go for treatment to stop drinking, but the decision to do this must unfortunately come from him and it appears that he is not there yet. It would also be very beneficial if he could eat plenty of fruit and vegetables because they contain so many protective vitamins, antioxidants and phytonutrients, but if your husband refuses to eat vegetables you can a) offer him fruit instead - like orange juice at breakfast, add 1-2 fruits to his lunch and fruit salad as dessert for supper; b) add vegetables to meat dishes - e.g. carrots, beans, and/or butternut can be included in stews or experiment with vegetable dishes like broccoli with a cheese sauce or roast mielies over the fire if you have a braai. Anything to make the vegetables less evident. You can use Best of Both because it has the same nutritive value as brown bread, with the appearance of white bread. There are also products such as Prohep or Essensiale which can help to protect his liver.
Perhaps you could ask one of your husband's friends or relatives to speak to him about getting professional help for his alcoholism because he probably won't listen if you say anything.
Holding thumbs for both of you
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.