Ask an expert

11 Aug 2010

Loosing weight
I am a woman of 24years old and feel like i''m overweight my weight is 67kgs, I dont know what to do coz I have ulcer and arthitis
Answer 338 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Phira
I can unfortunately not work out if you are overweight or not, because you did not supply me with your height in metres?? To work out your BMI (which is a way of checking if you are overweight or not), multiply your height in metres (e.g. 1.7 m) with your height in metres (e.g. 1.7), thus 1.7 x 1.7 = 2.89.
Now divide your weight in kg (67 kg) by the 2.89, to obtain your BMI. If I use your weight (67 kg) and divide it by 2.89, I get an answer of 23.2 which would be your BMI. A BMI of less than 18 is underweight. A BMI between 18 and 25 is normal. A BMI above 25, but below 30 is overweight. I trust that you are receiving treatment for both the ulcer and the arthritis? If not, please consult your doctor for the correct treatment. If your BMI is higher than 25 and you need to lose weight, you can try eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (for example like swimming if your arthritis interferes with other kinds of exercise).
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9430 votes
68% - 19912 votes