Ask an expert

11 Aug 2008

lost off period
im 14 years old 5ft 4in and bout 54kg.

i havent had my period properly within the last 7-8 months or so.
i started doing exersice like walking between 5-15km a day and not eating a lot, like not many carbs mainly raw vegies, porage and fruit, but still ate around 1300 calories, doing this i lost 10kg over a year (i was 60kg when i started, then got to 50kg) by this time my period was skipping and really light.. and only lasting a day if that. Then after a while my mum said i needed to eat more carbs and ppl were getting worred coz id lost 10 kg, so i started eating more carbs but as soon as i started eating carbs its like a couldnt get enough of them... so i over ate.. then because i was so worried about getting fatter i exersiced my-|-off, walked and ran round 20km then did arobic infront of the tv for round 2 a day. But i still put on a little bit of weight, then mum make me stop exersicing as much, but i found it hard to not eat so much, and even if i did eat good for a few days, if i got tired or stressed i would just binge on carbs, and i have put on around 4kg back on, and am now 54kg but im having trouble not bingeing and i also dont have my period back yet, the last time i had it it lasted 1 day and was extremly light. Im a vegatarian by the way.

what should i do? should i be worred?
Answer 433 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear TJ
I think that you should be worried because you are exhibiting classical signs of an eating disorder - excessive dieting, excessive exercising, an unrealistic body image (your present BMI = 20,3 which is already below the ideal of 22 and yet you think you are 'fat') and the loss of your menstruation. Anorexia, bulimia and orthorexia are Eating Disorders, which need to be treated with a team approach. Please consult a clinical psychologist (they are listed in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychologists' or you can ask your gp to refer you), to help you work out what underlying psychological problems are driving you to self-destruct and to learn most positive ways of dealing with these problems. You should also consult a clinical dietitian to assist you to get back to eating normally again. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. If you are in Gauteng then it may help to contact Tara Hospital as they have an Eating Disorder clinic (phone (011) 783-2010. In Cape Town and environs you can contact the Kenilworth Clinic (021) 797-1400 and in KwaZulu Natal there is Riverview Manor (033) 701-1911, or contact them on:
Go for expert help ASAP.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9379 votes
67% - 19431 votes