Ask an expert

27 Jul 2005

Not fat but feel overweight - Dietician?
Dear DietDoc,

I weight 55kg and am 23yrs old. I have always been a lot thinner and i liked it that way. Not 2 years after my son is born i seemed to be picking up weight in my bum and thight area. Do you think it a good idea to see a dietician about as i feel really shy and uncomfortable and look really wierd. I know that you may think i am complaining unessisarily but i am really despreate and not used to looking this way.

Please help.
Answer 355 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Shy
Generally speaking a weight of 55 kg is low. If you are overweight all round (and I cannot judge because you have not listed your height in metres so that I can calculate your BMI), then it is a good idea to consult a clinical dietitian (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area). If you just have problem areas that are bigger than the rest of you, this may be a genetic tendency and difficult to change. Targeted exercise may help so ask Fitness Doc for an exercise schedule that targets the thighs and buttocks.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.