Ask an expert

20 Mar 2003

Hi there

My husband is a bit overweight for his age and height, which has caused the spinal cord to detour a bit. He is 26 yrs and weigths about 109 kg.

Should you suggest a diet that could possiblely put him on, exercises, supplements whatever so should it be.

Concerned Wife
Answer 378 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Katie
The best way for your husband to lose weight is to use a low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet') and to increase his energy output by doing regular exercise. However, he may be a good candidate for Xenical, a medication that prevents the uptake of dietary fat. Discuss the use of Xenical with your doctor as it can speed up his weight loss. Xenical can only be obtained by prescription and because it is expensive, your dr needs to motivate for its use to your Medical Aid. This should be perfectly possible as your husband's weight problem is affecting his spinal cord and health in general.
Good luck
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9365 votes
67% - 19345 votes