Ask an expert

06 Jan 2008

Overweight & Unfit
I am a 42 year old male and overweight. My height is 177.5 cm and my weight at 20.20 hrs is 112 kg my waist is 122 cm and chest is 125.5 cm. I am going to start on a running program (Runners World Magazine program) and also will attend the gym twice a week. I need to get supplements that will help me and I need info on how to go about using these supplements correctly.Diet is important and then if possible a training program.
Answer 380 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Leon
Your present BMI = 35,6 which is in the obese range, so it would be good if you could lose some weight. I think it is a good idea that you are going to start doing exercise, BUT PLEASE be careful and do NOT start out at the highest level of physical exertion as this could be very harmful. You should actually first have a medical examination to determine if you are able to start the exercise programme you mention. For your own sake, do see a dr for a checkup and discuss your intended programme with the dr. If you are given a clean bill of health, then start gradually and do not overdo your activity until you have lost weight and have become fitter. At this stage you do not need supplements, but rather an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), which will promote weight loss but still permit you to do exercise. Supplements are usually expensive and will not benefit you at this stage of your programme.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.