Ask an expert

31 Jul 2006

Please help with diet

My boyfriends extremely over weight.

His 1.71 m tall and weights 102 kg. Please give me a diet menu that i can put him on. The only vegies he eats is corn and peas and sweet patatos and apples and naartjies, oranges and pears thats it.

Please help ASAP
Answer 326 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Jessy
Your boyfriend's present BMI = 34,9 which is very obese. To lose weight he needs to basically change his lifestyle. He should reduce his energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing his energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). Because he has so much weight to lose it may help to discuss the use of Xenical with his dr. Xenical is a real fat-trapper that prevents the user from absorbing fat from what he eats. Xenical is, however expensive so it would help if the dr could motivate for this medication to be paid for by your boyfriend's medical aid. He would use the Xenical with a very-low-fat-diet and this will help him to start losing. So see if he can get Xenical prescribed for his condition, seeing that the overweight is a direct threat to his health. The only other option is for him to have surgery such as a gastric bypass. If he chooses this option he can ask his dr to refer him to surgeons in your area who do these ops.
Holding thumbs for both of you
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.