Ask an expert

06 Mar 2004

public health bodies
I know this might be a little off the topic, however I am unable to find futher info with regards to my problem. I recently bought a a cooldrink, and after a large gulp noticed that the drink was contaminated with particles and chemical substances(I suspect the same chemicals and resins used to make the bottles).
Now I am naturally concerned for my health, so I would like to have the contents of this drink investigated for chemical analisis to find out if any of these chemicals may have endagered myself...and if not many others out there. I would contact the beverage company in question, however I feel their findings would be limited to them only, and might not tell me the truth of the matter.

How do I take the matter further ?
With whom must I contact ?
Do I need to press a charges against the company in question...

Deeply concerned
Answer 392 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear NM
You can contact institutions such as the CSIR, the SA Bureau of Standards or the Chemical Departments of Universities, or the Dept of Health and ask what such an analysis would cost. Also ask the Dept of Health if they can do an inspection of the given factory that bottled the cold drink. If the cold drink in question was bottled in glass (?), then it is likely that the particles you found, are other types of contamination. If you can obtain clarity about these particles then you should also inform the company and get their response.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9380 votes
67% - 19435 votes