Ask an expert

12 Jan 2005

Struggle to loose weight
I'm about 40kg overweight!!!! (And it is getting more) When I'm troubled or depressed I eat, I can't help myself, I love food! I used the depo provera injection for at a year and I struggled not eat, caffeine, choclates etc. I tried several diets, healthy eating, but I stayed hungry, I cannot drink diet pills, I makes my heart beat faster, raising hair, staring, and crunching on my teeth. I know my husband doesn't like my figure, but his not showing it, my child (7) always tell me do diet, but as soon as I think about my husband or what my child say, I EAT!!! Isn't there anything on the market that will make me loose weight, that doesn't cost a lot of money, or maybe something that my medical aid will pay for? I would really like to try the pharmacy diet (The diet that everyone is talking about), but it is expensive. I AM DESPERATE, I NEED A NEW OR BETTER FIGURE, (MY DRESS SIZE - 54). PLEASE HELP, I'm always tired, short breath, headaches, depressed etc...
Answer 316 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Susan
I apologise for only responding to your question today, but I had to have an operation last Wednesday, and although I informed the boffins who administer the Message Board, they failed to block incoming messages while I was in hospital.
I hear what you are saying. Diet pills and potions don't really do the trick, cost a lot and may give you those negative side-effects. The diet you refer to is also not a good idea as it is a high-fat-, high-protein diet which can have serious health implications. Rather stick to a low-fat, high-fibre Slimming Diet on this Website (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy) and try to combine it with some form of exercise. Start going for a walk every day in the fresh air and gradually increase who far and fast you walk. Because there is a definite psychological component to your overeating, I would advise you to consult a clinical psychologist. Depression can cause weight gain and prevent weight loss. So if this could apply then please go for help to a clinical psychologist (look in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychologists' or ask your gp to refer you). It may be the solution to your problem.
Because you have problems with discipline and need to lose a lot of weight I would also like to suggest that you try obtaining Xenical. Consult your dr and ask him/her about Xenical, which is a real fat-trapper that prevents you from absorbing fat from what you eat. Xenical is, however expensive so it would help if your dr could motivate for this medication to be paid for by your medical aid. You would use the Xenical with a very-low-fat-diet and this will help you to start losing. So see if you can get Xenical prescribed for your condition, seeing that the overweight is a direct threat to your health.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.