Ask an expert

06 Aug 2007

I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid 4 months ago from there my doctor put me on eltroxin 0.5mg per day.
Three months later I went for the blood tests again and it was diagnosed as normal, however I was feeling worse at this point. My hair was falling out again, i was extremely tired and I still had no luck losing weight and I had lost my appetite all together. When I went for the initial blood tests my cholestrol was also high and it remained high with the second round of blood tests. The doctor has now kept me on the same dose of eltroxin but I feel worse now.

Please can tell me if I need to be on a specific diet or if I need to see a specialist.
Answer 276 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Lia
From what you say about how poorly you are feeling and that you are losing hair and your appetite, I would strongly urge you to consult a specialist - an Endocrinologist deals with hormonal imbalances. Once we have a diagnosis we can see if you need to change your diet.
Hope the Endocrinologist can pinpoint what is wrong with you.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9365 votes
67% - 19346 votes