Ask an expert

15 Aug 2007

hi, doc my daugter is 16 yrs of age and is quiet chubby around her waist, she also has big boobs and has a problem with them with one been tbigger than the other,which she seems to be okay with. the problem i am considered about is her weight, she does general house work etc. so she is not lazy,her diet for the day is not much as she does not like to take lunch to school, so when she comes home then she has a slice of bread and has only two sugar in her tea, our supper is not heavy either,please help cause she is a young girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111
Answer 345 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Big Tummy
I can't really judge how overweight your 16-year-old daughter is as you don't mention her weight in kg and height in metres. On average girls of 16 weigh about 50 kg and are approx. 1.6 m tall. Compare her weight and height to these average figures to estimate if she is overweight. It is always best to have teenagers assessed by a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will determine how much your daughter should weigh and how much she needs to lose. You can also try to help her reduce her energy intake by giving her an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and encouraging her to increase her energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). It is important that she should eat regular meals and a variety of foods to ensure that she obtains sufficient nutrients to help to grow strong bones and teeth, etc, while losing weight. In teenagers daily exercise for 30 min or longer is one of the best ways of stimulating the metabolism and promoting weight loss. Buy her a skipping rope and get her to skip for 30 min a day.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9428 votes
68% - 19895 votes