Ask an expert

12 Aug 2010


my son is underweight, but he is not really a good eater. he is 8 yrs old. someone advise me to buy him longet..., cant remember the correct name and how to spell it. but when i read on the bottle it said that the side effects are, concerntration problems. could you maybe advise me on something else, that has less side effects.
thanking you in advance
Answer 452 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Underweight
If you son is underweight then it is important to have him assessed by a dietitian(visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will advise how to increase his energy intake and also ensure that he is eating a well balanced diet that provides all the nutrients your son requires to grow and develop properly. If necessary, the dietitian will recommend a vitamin and mineral supplement to correct any deficiencies the lad may have. Such a supplement can also stimulate the appetite.
Do not give young children any over-the-counter products that can be potentially harmful.
Do take your son to a dietitian ASAP
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.