Ask an expert

20 Feb 2004

weight gain and need to lose it
I've GAINED WEIGHT drastically from size 34 to size 40/42, problem is i don't know where i loose track and seem not able to know what i was eating to stay in size 34 for sometime.i need HELP,the worst partis now i'm working in Alice a very small town near King Williams Town, to get back on size 34.i do brisk walk twice a week for 30minutes but i need a diet which will help me to loss faster. i thought of joining weigh-less but i don't have a refridgerator @ the moment and @ the same time i don't know whether that will be a grreat i dea or i'll just waste my money by joinig it.HELP PLEASE
Another thining i hear about one should avoid high CHOLESTEROL
-can you explain to me how can one avoid it?
-which foods contain it?
- how much each food or food group contain it?
- how much intake per day or week must one consume of it?
-what cause one to be bloated?
-what can one do to avoid or overcome it?

If possible can you also reply on my email address too?

Answer 407 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Ama
I can unfortunately not reply to individual e-mail addresses. To lose weight, you need to eat a low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet' for a copy), and combine it with regular exercise (brisk walking, running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming - anything to get active for 30 minutes a day), which will also stimulate your metabolism. The low-fat diet will help to prevent problems with cholesterol. You will find that you can select foods which do not require refrigeration. If you find that you can't stick to the diet on your own, then do join Weighless (if there is a branch near you?) as they also use a low-fat, balanced diet and provide you with moral support. Bloating can be caused by so many different conditions (ulcers, colitis, gallbladder disease, etc), that you need to have a medical checkup so that we can obtain a diagnosis and then make the necessary dietary changes.
Good luck
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9380 votes
67% - 19432 votes