Ask an expert

03 Jan 2005

Weight Loss
I have tried every diet under the sun without cheating by the way. I have an underactive thyroid, am insulin resistant and 15 kgs over weight. I have tried injections, high protein, high carb, balanced eating etc. etc. all under supervision of experts, specialists, doctors and various weight loss institutions. All of them give up and tell me that my metabolism is a mystery. Please advise if you are able to, about what type of food I should or should not eat. I go to gym six days a week, do weight training plus cardio with a personal trainer. Looking forward to hearing what you have to say.
Answer 337 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Leetjie
I would firstly like to wish you a very happy New Year. Your type of condition does present a most difficult problem. Did you ever consult a clinical dietitian? If not, then I would recommend that you do so now. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will work out a diet that is based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI), and is energy-reduced to promote weight loss. You can read more about such diets if you click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. I trust that you are receiving thyroid hormone treatment, if not, please ask your dr to prescribe Eltroxin. Keep up the good work with the exercise because this is an excellent metabolic stimulant and helps control insulin resistance. If you see the dr you can also ask him, her about Xenical, which is a real fat-trapper that prevents you from absorbing fat from what you eat. Xenical is, however expensive so it would help if your dr could motivate for this medication to be paid for by your medical aid. You would use the Xenical with a very-low-fat-diet and this will help you to start losing. So see if you can get Xenical prescribed for your condition.
Good luck
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.