Ask an expert

05 Jul 2005

Weight Problem
I think that I have a serious weight issue and I don't know how to deal with it. I am 24yrs old, weigh 55kgs and I am 1.75m tall. I know that I am underweight because everyone tells me so and the stats say that but I feel like a fat slob and eating is such an issue for me. I love food but I am obsessive over it - feeling bad everytime I eat something that isn't fat free or goes over the 1000cal I eat a day. I want to deal with this issue but don't know who to speak to. I live in just outside the Durban area so travelling there is not an issue. Can you recommend anyone. I don't just want to look in the yellow pages because I don't have money to waste and I already saw a dietician that didn't help a bit. I hope that you can help me. Thanks a mil.
Answer 313 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Problem
You are suffering from an eating disorder (probably anorexia) and need to go for help ASAP. All the symptoms are there: your low BMI of 17,9 which is bordering on starvation, your guilt when you eat, the fact that you try and restrict your energy intake to less than 50% of normal, your obsessions. Anorexia and bulimia are Eating Disorders, which need to be treated with a team approach. In KwaZulu Natal there is Riverview Manor (033) 701-1911, which I believe treats eating disorders.
Go for expert help ASAP.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9433 votes
68% - 19971 votes