Ask an expert

06 Oct 2009

Been married for 34 years by a.n. contract. Husband worked for 22 years to age 33 (1997), then took package to start own business which was unsuccessful. He never contributed to household or any expenses after that. I' ve been working for past 19 years since 1990 to contribute. We' ve lost all policies, med aid, pension as a result of inadequate income. He took 2nd bond on paid up home after starting his business in 1997, but I' m paying for it + rates, taxes, etc, because of no income on his side. I pay for all expenses including his personal and medical expenses. I also paid for the stand on which we built our house in ' 85 as well as all furniture and furnishings. He has done no maintenance on the property in all these years. I' ve contributed a lot towards this property and don' t want to lose the only stable
item we own. What are my rights, can he be forced to contribute in any way? If I leave he would have to sell the house for a minimal amount and both of us would be left with nothing. I need to stay in order to try and keep the property, because my income from own business is not adequate to buy anything else or live a decent life. Salaries in my town are pay to littlel to provide for living on my own thus I try to run my own business which provides a little better. he has refused several offers for work and has no intention of generating an income.
Answer 311 views
Divorce support expert
Divorce support expert

01 Jan 0001

Pls contact me for a legal referral
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9380 votes
67% - 19432 votes