Ask an expert

28 Jul 2010

Allergic Rhinitis - Blocked Nose
Dear Doc
I have been diagnosed with allergic rhinitis. I have had it for many years. It flared up recently, with my ears being sore, my eyes water and burn, i feel out of breath, chesty and my nose gets so blocked. I went to my ENT and he gave me an antibiotic for ten days, Celestamine tablets (2 tablets twice a day for five days) and Inflanaze 100. I finished the medication about 1 week ago and the medicine has done nothing. My blocked nose has become unbearable. I have been using Vibrocil(the one with the
antibiotic in) but it only lasts for an our or two. I have been using it for the past five days. Is there anything you could offer that i could get my GP to prescribe as going back to my ENT is just too costly. Any help you can give me would be appreciated.
Answer 2,586 views
ENT Expert
ENT Expert

01 Jan 0001

Dear Paul

If you have allergic rhinitis, this will need to be treated longterm on most likely a topical cortisone nasal spray, and the occasional anti-histamine tablet. Allergies are not curable, as it is an indication of how your body is reacting to certain environmental factors, or foodstuffs. You may try to establish the causitive factor, but the reality is that you require longterm management. The nasal spray can not cure the condition, it may only control it. I suggest you discuss this with your GP, and perhaps try a different one, if the Inflanaze was not succesful in controlling your symptoms.
Your doctor should exclude another cause, such as an infection, and if this does not clear after treatment, it may be that a cause for the nasal obstruction is on an anatomical basis, ie a deviated septum, or enlarged inferior turbinates. Only after failure on medical management, may one consider surgery if indicated, but that will be a last resort. Once surgery is performed, you will still need nasal sprays, as surgery can not cure allergies.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.