Ask an expert

20 Jul 2010

In need of legal advice
Hi all,
i''m 30yrs old with 2 toddlers, got married traditionally in 2006 and legally in 2009 Nov.Recently we''re having financial problems. Ok, it started like....ever since i moved in with him before marriage we used to plan thing together like drafting our house hold budget and i would transfer funds into his bank account and we used his credit card to buy everythin including all the furniture. Now everything is in his name, the cars, house and furniture.
When we got married, he came up with this thing of getting married out of community of property with accrual system because " he said he wanted to start a business"  and he will put all the assets in a trust and me and the kids will be beneficiaries and we got married(STUPID ME).
Now things got worse because i continued to contribute a certain amount of money BUT when i recently told him that since i have my needs now i won''t be tranfering money into his account as need toi buy myself a car, pay my car insurance, petrol, take care of the kids and myself and i will also help where i can at home.
that''s where the problem started and he even demanded that as from next month i must transfer R7000.00 and i''m earning R11300.00.
We''ve been fighting now and then as i disagreee with him and this morning he told me that he''s had enough of me and he wants separation and he''s giving me 30 days to look for my own place as he will be selling the house.

Sorry for the long story but i need advice as to what should i do or go with our kids and if he files for devorce, will i loose everthing as all is in his name even if i contributed all this years in buying the assets?
is it correct that if he''s chasing us away, he should find us a place to stay with the kids and also help with maintenace?
Answer 289 views
Family law expert
family law expert

01 Jan 0001

If I were you I will consult an attorney and consider bringing a Rule 43 application.

Bertus Preller
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9433 votes
68% - 19965 votes