Ask an expert

08 Aug 2010

Re pension again
sorry i dnt undstand your response are you saying that whn married in ANC with accrual i cannot or should not bother to claim for 50 % of my husbands pension in a divorce that HE wants?

As that what you saying? i dont quite understand you say its used to calculate the accrual but it cannot be claimed as in a marriage IN COP? so then can i forsee no monies from his pension?
Answer 370 views
Family law expert
family law expert

01 Jan 0001

Legally you will not be entitled to 50% of his pension. If you were married in community of property you would automatically be entitled to 1/2 of his pension. But nothing stops you from asking 1/2 of the pension in your case and capture it in a settlement agreement.

Email me on and I will explain what I think you should do.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9430 votes
68% - 19917 votes