Ask an expert

23 Jun 2010

Step Parents and Maintenance
Just a quick question? If my Hubby gets fired or retrenched and is not working. Can his ex wife sue me for his childrens Maintenance? We are married Anti-nup. Not that I want the kids to suffer at all, but we would not afford to even keep our house or my car he is the main bread winner.
What is the channals to go through once you are out of work to let the courts know that you cannot pay maintenance. Will they ask me to pay a portion for his kids? And If we cannot afford maintenance can she stop him from seeing his children? What if she does? HELP!!!??
Answer 349 views
Family law expert
family law expert

01 Jan 0001

No, she can't hold you liable. Your husband will have to approach the maintenance court to vary the order. An order to pay maintenance can only be varied in circumstances where there are a complete change in circumstances, like in your husband's case.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.