Ask an expert

02 Aug 2010

I got married in 1980 and divorced in 1989. However, we have been living together since then sharing responsibilities. However life with my husband has deteriorated –  he is a cheater and I have had enough, I need to get out of this life. I pay the bond, various insurances medical aid, department stores etc , he pays the car and buys the food and pays the utilities. He has now stopped paying the car and I have had to take out a loan to cover the arrears –  he does also not pay the utilities any longer. What rights does he have –  I don’ t want to go to a lawyer because I am already divorced but the situation cannot continue. What are my rights –  do I owe him half of anything. The house, car and all accounts is on my name and I will not be able to cope on my salary but I am prepared to sell up to get out.-
Answer 331 views
Family law expert
family law expert

01 Jan 0001

Being divorced the matrimonial property regime will not apply to you and therefore he will not be entitled to claim from you unless he can prove that he did in fact contributed more or that you were enriched by the payments that he made.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9433 votes
68% - 19963 votes