Ask an expert

21 Nov 2005

2nd period
On the 19th of September I had a miscarriage and D&C. I am 32 and have been seeing a fertility specialist for 8 months. been trying for 2 years. Got my period 4 weeks later and it was a little different in that I had spotting for a few days before my actual period. 26 days later I got my period again and it lasted 8 days. Now 4 days later it is back again. It is very light spotting occasionally and brown/ old blood on occasion. I have also had strange pelvic pain and a painful feeling that almost feels like it is in my clitoris. This has been happening for 2 days, today being the second. I have no pain today though. Is this my body still settling after the miscarriage? Should I see my doc yet again. Only medication I am on is glucophage for PCOS.
Answer 480 views
Fertility expert
fertility expert

01 Jan 0001

Dear Breez

It appears that your cycle has not yet regulated itself since the D&C and there may well be an underlying hormonal reason for this. To some extent, it depends on what stage of your pregnancy the miscarriage had occured. It is unusal to have this sort of bleeding disorder if you had an early miscarriage (ie first trimester miscarriage) but it is more common in midtrimester miscarriages.

It is also important to exclude the possibility of what we would call a molar pregnancy or trophoblastic disease, which is a complication that may arise after a miscarriage, and is a relatively serious problem. I would therefore recommed that you do a pregnacy blood test and should this be positive I would suggest that you see your gynaecologisat as soon as possible to exclude the possibiliy of this trophoblastic disease.
Should bthe pregnancy test be negative, then the next step would be to try and regulate your cycle. This is best done by using a combined oral contraceptive for a period of two to three months, thereafter you could look at ovulation induction ,if conception is a priority.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.